List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       dantti85-dev () yahoo ! com ! br
Date:       2010-07-22 13:53:05

> De: Markus Slopianka <markus.s@kdemail.net>
> IMO some of your ideas (eg. transparent contact list) are actually not well
> suited for standard Kopete, but instead for a Plasmoid that lives in
> vertical Plasma panel. You can -- kind of -- already get a similar result
> by dropping Lancelot's contacts component into a vertical Plasma panel. I
> used that setup in the past, but over time the Lancelot component got worse
> and worse to use stand-alone in a panel.

I was sure not everyone would like the tabbed contact list.
I never tried the lancelot component (since I don't like lancelot),
but I must say most users (dummy ones) don't know how to play with
plasmoids, and I if you look at Adium (Mac OS IM) it can have
a transparent UI which people just love it.
> IMO the worst part of Kopete
> usability-wise is the way accounts are set up. Even I (an avid user) find it
> confusing. For starters, the WinPopup and Testbed protocolls should be
> completely deleted to reduce clutter. I find most of Kopete actually quite
> good to
> use.

I totally agree with you, but even with my accounts setup I still get up set
when simple things like droping a file on a contact list does not work
or when i have to go to various menus which have the same information
to find the right option to do one thing. :P

My idea of account set up is open a new left tab hide the contact list
and show a ui like the aMSN or ms msn. That is really simple
and a nice scroll wit the protocols saying for example that jabber is the
one for gtalk...

best