List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-07-22 6:15:58

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s@kdemail.net> wrote:
> IMO the worst part of Kopete usability-wise is the way accounts are set up.
> Even I (an avid user) find it confusing. For starters, the WinPopup and
> Testbed protocolls should be completely deleted to reduce clutter.
> I find most of Kopete actually quite good to use.

I fully agree here. I think the accounts should be as transparent to
the user as possible. They already are quite confused between
"identity" "contact" "metacontact" "protocol".

An account is just a medium of transport, for your messages, that you
have because you are being provided a service by someone.

Some ideas:

* add a way for protocols to expose specialized version of themselves:
ie: Facebook is jabber with a fixed set of settings, same for Google
Talk. Your grandma does not expect to find Jabber there, seriously.
* or even better (have you seen Thunderbird 3.1 account setup?), just
ask the user for their login/password, and let Kopete figure the rest.
It is a number?, it may be an ICQ account?, try it against the server.
It is a gmail? start trying google talk, or facebook... add some AI.
SSL? figure if it works with that server

Then another step would be good defaults, that is the contact list to
have nice photos, big entries as default instead of the old "Excel"
looking mode. No treelines, no groups by default etc.

And a next step would be to remove some terminology like metacontact
and identities, or leave the features but in a way a normal user does
not need to deal with them.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P.