List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Google Summer of Code idea
From:       Oleg Girko <ol+kde () infoserver ! ru>
Date:       2008-03-22 15:28:19

Hi!

This is not a reply to this particular Cory's GSoC idea, but rather a request
for a more general discussion.

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Cory Brassington wrote:

> "MSN Plus" functionality is a feature that I would personally really like
> to get working. However, I do understand that it wouldn't be a top
> priority. If this is a problem, I would be just as happy to contribute to
> something more important to the Kopete project as a whole.

From my point of view, instead of contributing lots of time and efforts to
legacy proprietary IM protocols, it would be better to improve the standard
one, which is XMPP (Jabber).

Free software should encourage free standards and protocols. It wont be a good
situation if Kopete supports all fancy features of proprietary IM systems
while lacking basic features of Internet standard XMPP protocol.

Currently, I think, there are two main features to concentrate effort to: TLS
authentication and Jingle support in Jabber plugin. They should have the
highest priority.

Of course, I don't propose to drop the development of proprietary IM plugins
in favour of XMPP. I just think that free IM client should have the best
support for free and open IM systems and thus encourage to use them.

-- Oleg Girko, http://www.infoserver.ru/~ol/