List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Google Summer of Code idea
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-23 0:24:56

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Cory Brassington wrote:
> Should I focus on something I am more passionate about ("MSN Plus" for
> Kopete) or something else that might be a higher priority for Kopete?

First and foremost you should pick something that you can finish, so you get
the money that GSoC promises. Being passionate is a big help in that regard.

Second, you should pick something that gets selected by the GSoC mentors so
you can start at all. (You're always welcome to implement things that are not
selected outside GSoC's scope of course.)

Apart from that, I personally would most like to see a stable and reliable MSN
plugin.

While I agree with Oleg that Jabber/XMPP ought to be the way forward, and with
you that MSN Plus is a cool feature to do, fact of the matter is that MSN is
by far the most widely used protocol worldwide.

Ignoring MSN is bad enough for interoperability that people won't be using
Kopete at all, it's like shipping a Linux without Wine, Samba, the win32
video codecs and MS Office import filters -- it's perfectly possible, it is
the preferred way if you build an infrastructure from the start, but in
practise it is totally unworkable if you need to communicate with anyone but
a handful of likeminded people. The Free Software and Open Standards
communities are getting there slowly, but not yet.

Anyway, Cory, pick any of the suggestions, proper MSN support (notably all
contact list management and file transfers using the newer protocol, so e.g.
offline messages and send-while-invisible work) are most urgent; MSN Plus is
nice, self-contained and fun, and Jabber is promotion of Open Standards. All
valid ideas in their own way.

--
Martijn

Never judge a book by it's movie.