List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] KResource wiki page (aka how much we suck at
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-21 9:42:28

On Saturday 21 May 2005 09:23, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I just used the wiki to put some users documentation.  Since the write
> access to the website is so difficult.

Shouldn't you be fixing the *real* problem then instead of working around
it? ;-) Especially to avoid that things get out of hand, like apparently they
now already do. (Ironically I consider myself an outsider in this case, so I
have to judge by the mails I read, but still...)

> But on the other hands, message like "[this mail] is so long that i have no
> interest in reading it." doesn't help to motivate me to write.

That's just a matter of writing in a way that allows quick scanning whether
something is relevant. Start with an 'executive summary', despite the icky
name those things actually have a value.

Just summarize the idea in a couple of lines. If someone thinks 'hey, that's
not the part that I work on', he or she can skip the rest of the mail.
Likewise, if someone thinks 'this is important for me', you already raised
interest and people are much more likely to read on.

There are more ways to improve the readability of large texts and to improve
chances that people actually read mail, but it would be a nice start if you
have a longer message to get across.

--
Martijn