List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] Re: KResource wiki page (aka how much we suck at
From:       Richard Smith <kde () metafoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-22 23:49:38

Hi Matt (and everyone),

On Saturday 21 May 2005 07:04, Matt Rogers wrote:
> 1. It's not linked anywhere. Not even on the Kopete Development page.

I've added it to the Kopete Development page.

> 2. It was never announced on the mailing list. For those of you that think
> that IRC should be the preferred form of communication amongst the
> developers, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND! IRC should _NOT_ be the
> preferred form of communication amongst the developers for the following
> reasons:
[...]

It was announced on the 10th of December last year, in a message with subject
"Re: [kde-pim] KMail KPart". Arguably it should have been re-announced 11
days ago after Duncan, Will and I talked about it on IRC, and we actually
started thinking seriously about implementing it. For those of you who've not
seen the page, it's here:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kopete+Development+ContactListResource

> 3. IMHO, Wiki's suck for discussing things, because IMHO, there's no real
> way to really see who's commenting on what unless we're all really good
> about our wiki markup, and that won't happen. this is less of an issue than
> 1 or 2 though.

That I'd definitely agree with. It seems a convenient, central place to stash
IRC logs and random thoughts so they don't get lost, though.

> Look, I wanna contribute to Kopete's development. I would think that my
> presence on this list, as well as my presence on IRC when I am able would
> indicate that. However, if we cannot do a better job of communicating, it
> doesn't make it fun to contribute because then I know exactly dick about
> what's going on, and I like to stay informed. This is not Duncan and his
> band of sidekicks or whatever anymore. There are more people now and we
> can't just be off in our own little worlds. We _HAVE_ to start
> communicating more. We _SHOULD_ be using this list rather than IRC to
> discuss major issues such as this.

You're right. The ideas in that page seem to have settled down now, so it's
probably a good time to promote them from idle ideas to an actual proposal to
change Kopete, and to discuss them formally. To that end it'd be good to get
the page written up nicely, and/or to provide a summary here, but I for one
don't have time for that today.

So, I'd like to ask that anyone who's interested in the discussion (which is
probably all of us, since the outcome will make a big difference to the
future direction of Kopete) reads the Wiki page and responds with any
relevant comments (both here and there ideally, but just commenting here is
fine), even (especially) if they're just "XYZ is badly explained so I don't
understand it" or "Why the heck do you want to do this?" or whatever.
--
Thanks,
Richard