List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] Address book integration
From:       Will Stephenson <william.stephenson () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-10 9:14:15

Hi Duncan

I see from IRC and a couple of commits that you're making moves towards
integration/linking with the main KDE addressbook.  I'd be interested to know
what the plan is, things that I wonder about are:

- mandatory or optional participation in both the Kopete contactlist file and
kabc.  The last time kabc integration was discussed this was the issue that
divided Kopete developers as I'm sure you'll remember.

- relationship between Kopete structures and kabc.  I'm guessing metacontacts
in Kopete <-> kabc entries?

- 2 way integration, for linked records, will we both update kabc as
metacontact contents change and react if kabc's IM address entries are
changed outside of Kopete?

- contact metadata - we were talking last night about how to store buddy icons
in kabc, and we should also have a policy for relating IM obtained contact
data to that in kabc.  We could limit it to using IM userinfo to populate a
new kabc entry generated from a metacontact, but since different protocols
support different sets of user info the mapping could be tricky.  I'm
interested in this myself as I was augmenting the ICQ userinfo support
recently.

cheers

Will
--