List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-03-04 17:03:34

On March 4, 2003 10:22 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 March 2003 11:38, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > changing the identityId mean changing the myself() 's contactId on the
> > fly. that is impossible. too (currently)

No, it is not impossible. Again, it is only impossible for those single server
based IM systems like AOL and MSN.

For IRC, I could change my account name and all it would do is change my nick.
For WinPopup, it isn't even relevent. For SMS, it just means I start getting messages for
a different number.

> Right. I said about the same thing on kde-cvs :)
>
> I don't think we *ever* want this. You can edit all kinds of stuff in an
> account, but NOT the account name I'd say without recreating the objects
> internally. Whether we still allow it in the GUI is another concern. On the
> one hand I'd much prefer to disallow it, but on the other hand there's the
> risk of typos and having a user create a new account just for that?
>
> Opinions?

Can't delete objects and recreate them while they are in session, so this is a
no go for iRC. Just because some protocols are limited by this doesnt mean
all should have to live with it. If MSN and AOL can't change their identity IDs
while in session, then the username and password fields in their edit widget
should be disabled while connected. Same with the IRC server and password
field. But that doesn't mean that there shouldnt be a setIdentityId so that the users
nickname change takes place immediatly, or so that you start logging into a new

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org