List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] kdenonbeta/kopete
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-27 21:54:34

On Monday 27 January 2003 22:41, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> So who knows about KopetrMetaContact? Gof is not there either most of the
> time, who is left from the core devels?

It should be documented mostly in the .h files and if it's not that's a bug.
Report things that are not clear or add docs yourself when you find out
something.

> And btw, your nickname fscking is not sane either because in ICQ I loose
> all nicknames for my Contacts if I rename the MC.

As ICQ doesn't implement KopeteContact::rename() yet that seems unlikely to
me. Unless a mere setDisplayName() would be enough to cause this (the default
implementation).

Anyway, this is intentional. If I rename a contact I rename a contact. Not
part of it but the whole contact. It's no coincidence that I carefully leave
out the word 'meta contact' from the GUI - the user just has contacts and a
contact is associated to one or more accounts for one or more protocols. A
user couldn't (and shouldn't) care less about the fact that internally we
split that into the meta contact container class and the kopetecontact with
the actual data.

So if a user renames his contact it's supposed to be renamed everywhere to
avoid unpleasant surprises when switching from Kopete to the real MSN for
example.

> Is Kopete meant to hide the real nicknames all over now? :(

If you request Kopete to rename the contact then obviously you have a reason
to override, no? :)

--
Martijn