List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Status of the WYSIWYG support in KWord.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-06 14:34:38

After all the discussions about the WYSIWYG problems in KWord, and
after reading a little bit of Abiword's source code (it turns out Abiword does it
the way I thought, but at least it confirms my idea about it ;), I have started to
implement a solution in KWord. Obviously, this is about doing the layout at a
constant, precise resolution (1440 DPI is what I found in abiword and it sounds ok
to me), with big fonts, and displaying the stuff with smaller fonts but using that
precise layout.
This requires to change a lot of KWord's code (not the class design, but all the
coordinate conversions), so this won't go in before KOffice-1.1.

Just to let you know that I'm working on this, and that big changes in KWord should
be avoided until this is committed, otherwise the conflicts will be huge. For the same
reason, I can't really make a libkofficetext for kpresenter before 1.1, but that's not a
problem either - porting kpresenter to it is for after 1.1 anyway.

Can't tell if the solution works well yet, this fork of KWord is quite broken at the
moment ;-) (If there is interest in helping with it, I can commit to a branch, of course)