List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    it was QT [Re: KWord and printing documents with truetype fonts]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-22 15:57:38

On Thursday 21 June 2001 16:00, Michael Goffioul wrote:
|   > Ok, I will try with GS for Windows or AI.
|   > Today I upgraded GS to GS 7.0 (AFPL), and problem still exist.
|   > I used one of my multi-typeface documents, and printed it from KWord to
|   > PS file.
|   > Resulting PS file was 6.9MB.
|   > GS 7.0 runs significantly faster IMO, and *just after 2 minutes* I got
|   > following error message (running pure *GhostView*)
|
|   [snip]
|
|   > So, most likely with GS 5.5 I had to wait 10-15 minutes for similar
|   > message. (I was killing GV after 5 minutes)
|   >
|   > Do you think that Ghostscript for Windows will give different result?
|   > (and, therefor, it is Linux-specific problem?)
|
|   I'm afraid it won't make any difference. But who knows...And importing
| the PS into AI may help a little bit.
|
|   Michael.

Ok, importing to Adobe Illustrator (AI) also failed.
AI has spent around 2 minutes readimg this (6.9MB) PS file. Finally, it
displayed couple of letters, and.. that's it.
Macromedia Freehand can't read pure PS file, it needs EPS. So, there is no
testing alternatives left (except realworld Adobe Postscript printer)

Then I did the following:
- loaded source file exported from KWord, to Word 2000.
- printed it from Word 2000 using PostScript driver (Xerox Docuprint 4517)
I got output file of 1.9MB.  It had the same text and the same fonts as
initial KWord document.

(and all font have very good rendering quality)
Besides, I run ps2pdf over this file, and it resulted in nice PDF file just
558K). GS 7.0, again, loaded and correctly displayed this PDF.

So, the real problem it with QT-generated PS code.
It can be that QT generated *correct* Postscript code, but all interpreters
hang on it.
So, I think Qt needs a fix here.

P.S. It's not a wonder that Adobe has good PostScript printer driver under
Windows. After all, it is already version 4.0 of their driver, or something
like this. Can somebody point out where QT stores DTD for its PostScript
generation filter? Or, QT doesn't use DTD for it but something different?
(after all, PS is stack-based language, and I am not sure how auto-generation
of PS code is handled)
All application running under KDE will benefit from improved PostScript
driver. I guess we should try to focus here.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)