On Thursday 21 June 2001 16:00, Michael Goffioul wrote: | > Ok, I will try with GS for Windows or AI. | > Today I upgraded GS to GS 7.0 (AFPL), and problem still exist. | > I used one of my multi-typeface documents, and printed it from KWor= d to | > PS file. | > Resulting PS file was 6.9MB. | > GS 7.0 runs significantly faster IMO, and *just after 2 minutes* I = got | > following error message (running pure *GhostView*) | | [snip] | | > So, most likely with GS 5.5 I had to wait 10-15 minutes for similar | > message. (I was killing GV after 5 minutes) | > | > Do you think that Ghostscript for Windows will give different resul= t? | > (and, therefor, it is Linux-specific problem?) | | I'm afraid it won't make any difference. But who knows...And importin= g | the PS into AI may help a little bit. | | Michael. Ok, importing to Adobe Illustrator (AI) also failed. AI has spent around 2 minutes readimg this (6.9MB) PS file. Finally, it=20 displayed couple of letters, and.. that's it. Macromedia Freehand can't read pure PS file, it needs EPS. So, there is n= o=20 testing alternatives left (except realworld Adobe Postscript printer)=20 Then I did the following: - loaded source file exported from KWord, to Word 2000. - printed it from Word 2000 using PostScript driver (Xerox Docuprint 4517= ) I got output file of 1.9MB. It had the same text and the same fonts as=20 initial KWord document. Loading this file into GS 7.0 works like a charm. GS displayed it correct= ly=20 (and all font have very good rendering quality) Besides, I run ps2pdf over this file, and it resulted in nice PDF file ju= st=20 558K). GS 7.0, again, loaded and correctly displayed this PDF. So, the real problem it with QT-generated PS code. It can be that QT generated *correct* Postscript code, but all interprete= rs=20 hang on it. So, I think Qt needs a fix here.=20 P.S. It's not a wonder that Adobe has good PostScript printer driver unde= r=20 Windows. After all, it is already version 4.0 of their driver, or somethi= ng=20 like this. Can somebody point out where QT stores DTD for its PostScript=20 generation filter? Or, QT doesn't use DTD for it but something different? (after all, PS is stack-based language, and I am not sure how auto-genera= tion=20 of PS code is handled) All application running under KDE will benefit from improved PostScript=20 driver. I guess we should try to focus here. --=20 Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html Do you have Arial font installed? Just test it! http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html _______________________________________________ Koffice-devel mailing list Koffice-devel@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel