List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Labels
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-02 9:24:09

On Saturday 02 June 2001 06:47, Kent Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Avery has given me permission to create label templates for KOffice and allow
> me have them license under an Open Source License.

Stupid question... What/who is Avery ? :)

> Here are the screenshots for 4 labels:
> http://www.geocities.com/newyen/index.html

Looks good !
What's the goal ? Is it to print labels with the same thing in each of them ?
(In that case the "Copy" behaviour could be useful. We just miss a way to set it
from the user interface - we only have "Create a Copy on next page", no
"make this frame a copy of this other existing frame", although the code supports \
that). Obviously if the contents of each label is different then this doesn't help.

> While I was working under KWord trying to create my label I've experienced
> several things that can be improved:
>
> 1) I was not able to delete a frame using the "Delete" key.
> 2) I was not able to copy and paste frame.

wishlist items on bugs.kde.org please, I can't remember all that's missing,
nor implement it all at once.

> 3) When I right click to delete a frame, a dialog pops up asking me if I
> wanted to delete it.  I feel this is a bit redundant since we have undo
> capability, this dialog popping should not be necessary.

IIRC this dialog only pops up if you delete a non-empty last frame of a frameset,
i.e. one that has some text in it, that you won't be able to see anymore.
Hmm, right, we have (working!) undo/redo....
I'm ok for removing that dialog then. Or should it have a "don't show me again" \
checkbox ?

> 4)  There's no DCOP for KWord.

Thanks to Werner there is now (with access to all the actions and all
the Qt objects you should be able to do things - but probably not enter
text). Update and use kdcop to explore.

> I encounter one bug.  I was able to name my template but was not able to a
> start a new document using it if I use parenthesis in the name i.e. "Avery
> (R) 2638".

sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token \
                `/home/dfaure/.kde/share/apps/kword/templates/Pagelayout/.source/a(r'
sh: -c: line 1: `cp /home/dfaure/.kde/tmp-faure/kworddhnYZb.kwt \
/home/dfaure/.kde/share/apps/kword/templates/Pagelayout/.source/a(r)a.kwt'

Hihi, who's been using "cp" ? Werner, what about using KIO::NetAccess ?
No that we need network transparency, but we need to avoid using
a shell and cp, I think ;-)
(Why isn't there a system call for copying a file on the local filesystem ?)