List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Profiling KOffice Applications
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-21 19:01:52

Hi!

As I wanted to profile KPresenter today I tried to get KOffice
working with profiling information. After some good hints and
various tries I finally did it and got quite useful output.
Nothing really revolutionary, but still a nice "hint." David
suggested to collect all that steps I had to do in a small
file so I did that (you can find it at koffice/PROFILING).

Just in case someone really starts profiling now:
1) This information is not always correct
2) Harri suspects that it "lies" quite a lot for small
   functions which are called very often (e.g. the QChar
   constructor)
3) It's not the whole truth. To get more information you'd
   have to compile Qt and kdelibs with -pg. This sounds
   like a lot of pain, tho...

However, maybe this file helps a little.

If you know a lot about profiling and so on please go and
read that file. Then please correct my mistakes :)
Thank you in advance,
Werner

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org