List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice and KDE 2.1
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-02-22 8:06:54

Lotzi Boloni wrote:

> > The confusion is understandable.  Whenever someone mentions KOffice
> > along with KDE 2.1 you hear some developer saying KOffice is not being
> > distributed.  Well, the real story is, a new version is not being
> > distributed, but I would think KOffice benefits from the kdelibs
> > improvements like everything else.  Question is, is there any benefit to
> > recompiling kdelibs against KDE 2.1 (yes, I know there is binary
> > compatability, but I ask anyway).
>
>  Being shared libraries, the recompilation would not change anything, the
> library improvements will happen without the need of recompilation.

Right, that much for sure.  But, for example, I had the problem on my
system that I upgraded to libmng-1.0, which has a different major number
(not sure if it is binary incompatible), so I had to recompile
everything; some others may have upgraded X or other things in the
meantime.  So the question is directed particularly to each packager,
depending on what libraries have changed in the mix.

Sorry I was unclear, gotta take more time :-).

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE
http://apps.kde.com/:  The Latest in KDE Applications