List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RE: KFormula library 2, status report
From:       Nicolas GOUTTE <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-02-22 11:18:24

In my personal opinion, you should remove those files from CVS.

That is exactly one reason for a version control system. You can delete
files without problems and if one day you found out it was a bad idea, you
can always bring them back from the CVS.

Moving even one file is not so good:
- you are breaking revision numbers.
- CVS creates a new file with a content that is already in the old CVS
file. (Lost storage space in the CVS server)
- your are not showing other programmers that this file is not anymore
used.
- every other programmer must download the "new" file completely (lost
network capacity and lost CVS server capacity).

With many files, these effects multiply worsening the problem.

If the new code is the same directory than the old code, you have to do it
a little differently:
- make your code changes
- commit then to CVS with a forced revison number
	cvs commit -r2.0 -m "New version" your_directory
- remove in CVS all files that you will not use anymore in this directory.
- forced revisions are sticky, so you have to erase the stickyness with
	cvs update -A your_directory

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.