List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-02-02 20:33:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Alfredo Beaumont wrote:
> Asteazkena 02 Otsaila 2011(e)an, Aaron J. Seigo(e)k idatzi zuen:
> > * people are wasting their own energy and putting the success of Calligra
> > and KOffice needlessly into jeopardy in the process
> >
> > * they are spreading discontent throughout KDE with this approach to
> > things
>
> I guess this is reciprocal. It's the KDE aproach to things which is causing
> all this problems and making people waste energy.

er, no. the koffice community created this situation quite on their own.  at
this point, there is little that can be done from the outside to make it
better other than trying to prevent it from spreading outwards to other areas
of the community.

then again, maybe that was indeed part of the problem, if not in the way you
meant it here. maybe KDE as a whole should have been able and willing to
provide more support for koffice and their community issues over the last four
(or whatever) years? maybe expecting effective leadership to be demonstrated
in each individual team, even the larger ones, consistently over time is not
realistic. and/or perhaps we're not doing enough to create and support
effective leadership skills across KDE so that more teams can engage in
direction setting and community maintenance in a healthy way.

is there anything that those who have been involved in this would have
benefited from, say, 3 years ago that they didn't have access to? (hindsight
is supposed to be 20-20, so let's see if we can take advantage of that ;)

> No sense for an arbitration process when there's no
> value in the arbitration topic.

the value is/was in keeping the problem contained and with a path to
resolution so that it can eventually be put behind us. regardless of merit or
value, making sure that:

* those involved do end up getting taken care of (they deserve it, as humans
and as our friends)

* those not involved don't end up being impacted by it

is critical and worthwhile all on its own.

remember occurances like certain people showing up at GNOME conferences with
"I Love Mono" stickers? that's the kind of divisive behaviour that happens
when matters escalate unchecked. i don't want to see that happen in KDE, and
so regardless of the value of the KOffice name, spending time on arbitration
is worth it if only to try and keep harmony.

and yes, this is also why we're trying to stay vigilant about not letting
these struggles spill out into other areas of KDE (e.V., sys admin, etc.)

> And yes, I agree with you, this is not good at all, but it's not unexpected
> at all, so maybe it should have been foreseen and thought about it more in
> depth.

hindsight is 20-20, but in this case it may have been foreseable, maybe as far
back as 3+ years ago. i'm very interested in what we can learn from this
particular history and how we can turn that into new tools for others to use
in the future so that no one has to repeat this kind of exercise in our
community again. (ok, perhaps moderately unrealistic to expect that sort of
perfection, but we can try, right? :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se