List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts from community member on a split
From:       Andrij Zinchenko <andrez.the.slacker () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-28 8:38:00

2010/10/28 Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Andrij Zinchenko
> <andrez.the.slacker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I understand many things. I may concede that there is a need for a
>> "clean break". But you can not any longer try to keep it secret from
>> community without seriously hurting it. Develop a message for the
>> community and show the clear way of keeping with it! If you need such
>> a message, I can help with that - I am PR guy anyway.
>
> We are not keeping it secret as this is a public mailinglist anyway. It
> still needs some days until the terms of the split are decided (names, which
> app goes where, etc)
> If you rush out a announcement that might soon be obsolete and even more
> confusing, so I think it's better to take the time to get it right. It's
> certainly not done with "three lines".

Sven, I think it is still more pleasant to see the announcement "Our
team have decided to postpone the RC release. Please, hold on - we
will provide you with details in couple of weeks". That is it.

Noone expects from anyone any obligations. But it feels way better if
we communicate to people that we remember about them waiting for the
release, that we care about the dates stated in KOffice wiki.

It is the same as call a person to warn that You might be late - the
person may get somehow sad but you will still be trusted. If You do
not show up at the meeting which was previously scheduled and did not
call to warn about that - that leaves You with no trust from that
person.