List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs against the Essen branch
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-09-23 9:59:33

On Thursday 23. September 2010 11.03.46 LukasT.dev@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm Krita developer, let me share you my non-involved view.
>
> > Recently the Nokia testers have started to report bugs against the Essen
> > branch.  This is part of the Nokia effort to open up the development
> > process and put it more into the open, something I think we should be
> > grateful for.
>
> Cool move from Nokia! Why they started to test Essen? Is there any
> particular feature they are dependent on when testing that is not in
> trunk?

Thats a good question indeed; I've seen various patches gone in that were
rejected in trunk before and will cause big compatibility issues.
As Inge said, Nokia intends to release against a feature branch. So this is
with features not accepted by the community. (like r1174172)

I'm a bit stumped how he can say with a straight face that reporting bugs *to*
the koffice community bugtracker in a diverging branch of KOffice with not
accepted patches of the koffice community is a good thing.

We have seen this many times before; distributions add patches and those cause
people to report bugs that are only actually visible in the distro version
since they introduced the bug. This has been fixed by talking to the distros
and getting them to play more friendly with upstream.

> > However, this hasn't been well received everywhere.  Thomas has moved the
> > resolution of these bugs to WAIT [1] and asking that the testing be done
> > against trunk instead.  He writes:
> >
> > "Please test against the main branch and not an unstable
> > feature branch thats not supported by the KOffice core team.
> > Feel free to reopen if the bug exists in the main branch. "
>
> Who is the KOffice _core_ team? :) Am I in the club? =)

Yes, I think so :)

> > So, I can see these alternatives:
> >
> > 1. Nokia is allowed to report bugs against the branch.
> > 2. Nokia is not allowed to report bugs and will move back to the internal
> > Maemo.org bugzilla.
> > In case 1, there will be a few bugs that cannot be reproduced in trunk.
> > That is a cost, but in my mind not very high.  In return we will get a
> > lot of bugs reported that would otherwise go unnoticed by us.
> > In case 2, we will save some work (won't have to check the bugs against
> > trunk) but we miss out on a lot of bugs. It will also mean a setback to
> > the opening up process.
>
> I think that if they report bugs against features that are not in trunk,
> let them allow to fill the bugs, but set the bug to WAIT. If the bug is in
> trunk, ask them to test also the trunk and then the bug can be set to NEW.
> This is valuable for community I think. Otherwise it adds half work for
> community. Question is why they do just the half of the work?
>
> Also I think as developer the new bugs from some feature branch are seen as
> noise if there are quite many of them. You focus on stabilization and you
> try to triage the bugs when they are reported and if you do not follow
> Essen, then you can't reproduce and you waste your time.

Agreed.

I think the question phrased by Inge is missing the point entirely; the
question is why Nokia is forking off the main branch in the first place. The
main branch is stabilized for release and Nokia is intending to release too.
So why the hell are we not using the same codebase?
--
Thomas Zander