List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Layout, first paragraph bottom position fix
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-09-23 9:49:12

Hi,

On Thursday 23 September 2010, Korinek Pavol wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my name is Pavol. Not Matus ! I have experience with writing unit test :-)
Well your comment on that review lead to believe that you don't. Sorry for
being blunt.

"To simulate this problem I had to combine tests for application
(KWTextDocumentLayout) and pluggin (Layout.cpp) which means don't write test
for some unit or function, but test for whole layout."

This is *not* an unit test. A unit test is focused on a function of a class.
Each class defines an API that can be tested.

> I haven't ask for any unit test course. This test was quite problematic
> and I tried to explain why. I have consult it with Boemann. He see problem
> to test layout as one unit too. I haven't said, that it's not possible.
> It's just too expensive. Fix is about one new line in source code. To
> write unit test for this bug could take few days. I should say, that
> simulation with unit test could not be successful. It's not trivial. I'd
> rather consult such step before I'll start work on complicated unit test.
> I'd rather spend time to solve new bugs in this case. I'll hope this
> brings more light to darkness ;-)

The number of lines of a fix does not matter. It is quiet possible that adding
the line "firstParagraph = true;" is introducing a bug, meaning that someone
else might come and remove the line. And suddently your bug is back. We can
understand that this is quiet profitable for companies, but it is not benefical
for the koffice project.

Also, I shall note that in a recent discussion on the subject, there was a
wide agreement from the community that patch on reviewboard should come along
an unit test. While this is not a formal policy, it can be considered a valid
objection.

--
Cyrille Berger