List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: feature branch during freeze
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-07 16:40:53

We are in feature freeze to allow people to refocus on bugfixing. And we have
*plenty* of bugs that need fixing.
What went pretty bad in my experience last time is that we got a very strong
split in the community; either you were on the feature branch or you were on
the bugfixing branch. Almost nobody was compiling both.

I'm afraid the same thing will repeat itself; people will focus on new features
and let the main-application maintainers fix the bugs to get ready for release.
We have had a lot of new features introduced and a few too many of them are
buggy and caused regressions.
If we are serious (and I hope we still are) about getting end-user-ready then
lets not split the community again like we did last release.

I propose we focus on writing unit tests and fixing regressions and making the
new features shippable.

If people want to work on a new feature they naturally can, but lets not
encourage it.

--
Thomas Zander