List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-08-24 7:09:56

On Monday 23 August 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 23. August 2010 20.32.30 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > I would like to avoid to need an extra click for activating a tool just
> > for  changing the color of a shape. It is something I do quite often and I
> > think also artists do quite often so having first to activate a tool
> > should be avoided in my opinion.
>
> This misses the basic premise the tool system was designed for.  Its workflow
> based and by grouping the features in the tool we avoid clicking, not add extra
> ones.

Actually, having next to tools, inspector widgets that can modify the properties of \
the currently selected shape(s) has been part of the flake design since the \
beginning. The original group of flake designers (me, Thorsten, Casper, Rob, Peter) \
never intended to have everything go through tools. These inspector widgets have \
quite an ancient pedigree, having appeared in NextStep and are still being heavily \
used in Apple's office suite.

Tools were never intended to be merely the way to conveniently open an inspector \
widget, they are for on-canvas manipulation.

Now, the confusion between tool option widgets and inspector widgets is the source of \
the usability problem. What we need first, before moving even more functionality to \
tools is to define a good taxonomy of all the dockers we have. Then determine what \
each type of docker is used for, and then figure out ways to present that in the \
clearest way possible to the user.

And then we need to figure out a way to curb the excesses of the tool system, like \
                having to select the text tool before being able to click on a url.