List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Quick question
From:       Carlos Licea <carlos_licea () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-23 19:16:55

On Jueves 19 Agosto 2010 05:18:31 Jos van den Oever escribió:
> On Thursday, August 19, 2010 13:09:38 pm zander@kde.org wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18. August 2010 18.06.20 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > > Thanks for the link. This is certainly on our radar, perhaps even using
> > > wave  or a similar protocol.
> >
> > To avoid any communication problems I want to add that the stuff that
> > Pierre has been working on with the koffice change-tracking and, on top
> > of that, the collaborative editing is meant to avoid having a central
> > server. The google wave protocol is specifically meant to *use* a
> > central server and the concepts its build on have gotten improvements in
> > later research.
> >
> > While obviously the idea of using something already coded is attractive
> > and any effort in that direction won't be stopped by me, I think its
> > fair to point out thats not what the KOffice core peeps set their hearts
> > on.
> >
> > See the mail on 14-july on both these lists (subject 'Suggestions') for
> > more info.
>
> Yes and no. The top level wave protocol is indeed tailored to a central
> server, although there are actually several layers of servers. Yet, the way
> changes are sent between participant through wave's version of operational
> transformation could be used even in a p2p setting. I fully agree that p2p
> operation should be possible.
>
> The interesting question is: how can one combine ODF with operational
> transformation? And, can one combine real-time collaboration with
> collaboration with longer delays like in revision control systems?
>
> Cheers,
> Jos
I'm not familiar with how Wave works but why would the end result, an ODF
document, have any impact on how you create it? don't all the operations are
represented by in-memory objects? if so, you can take care later of their
serialization to ODF if you want to keep "the history" of the creation of that
document, otherwise you just create an ODF document from an in-memory state of
the program, can't you?
--
Carlos Licea