List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Single letter shortcut problem
From:       nospam () xibo ! at
Date:       2010-08-15 23:29:58

My opinion: very cool, currently there is an ugly workaround in the colour
selector, which disables the shortcuts on layer change. now that i
realise, that it can also work in flake and not only in line edit, i
consider it a flake bug.

i will also reply to thomas' mail :)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:36:37 +0200, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 15. August 2010 20.15.47 Cyrille Berger wrote:
>> Any opinion on the subject ?
>
> I don't really have any strong preference for which solution to take; I
> just
> want to point out that having single-key shortcuts is going to be a
> problem for
> more than just Flake. But even inside flake I'm wondering if it makes
> sense to
> have shortcuts to tools and dockers be disabled under certain
> conditions. Makes
> me wonder how consistent the user experience will be.

I suppose, that for you kword is the most important thing, this is fine.
but for me and others krita is more important and in krita single-key
shortcuts would be very cool (also for other tools etc.). You rarely type
text and so nearly the whole keyboard would be unused, plus, it's much
more easier to remember S for colour Selector, than for instance F6. Other
usecases would be probably Karbon, KPlato and Kivio. These are all apps,
that don't use the keyboard the whole time.

It definitely makes sense to disable shortcuts, if under certain
conditions. every program, that uses single-key shortcuts and text input,
does it. also qt does it (see below).

> But back to this issue; Its not limited to Flake only; having 3rd party
> dockers
> will very likely have QLineEdit objects or custom widgets where it makes
> a lot
> of sense to use the normal keyboard buttons. Anything from plain text
> input to
> navigation on a QComboBox would have to be 'fixed' to allow Krita to have
> single-letter shortcuts to select a tool or docker.

You are wrong in this point, this issue IS limited to Flake.
Apparently you don't know qt well enough in regard to this matter. Some
dockers in Krita already have QLineEdits and QComboBoxes, they are working
also with single-key shortcuts. This functionality is already in qt,
otherwise the trolls probably wouldn't allow single-key shortcuts.

It's also wrong to assume, that only Krita is using single-key shortcuts.
I want to port the advanced selectors also for Karbon, so they will be
needed also there. You also don't know, if other users of flake will want
to use them or not. Flake is not just limited to kword, it's intended to
be used in other apps, and you can't demand from them, that they don't use
single-key shortcuts.

> I'm wondering if using single key shortcuts really will turn out to be a
> good
They are used already in other software, here is a short list, just what i
remember straight from the head: blender, 3ds max, opera, wings3d. there
are certainly more. I've already mentioned, why they are convenient and
good.
> idea if you look at the implications of it. How consistent and
> predictive will
> the user experience be? The normal keys are (and should stay) usable in
> more
> places than most people realize.
> I mean;  what happens when you paint and hit that single letter shortcut.
> A: you change tool
>
> What happens if you are typing in the text tool. Or you use a 3rd party
> tool
> that takes keys.
> A: it should not change tool
>
> What happens if you are in a KLineEdit
> A: ??
??
it probably should do the same as qlineedit, namely display the letter.

> What happens if you are in a QCombobox popup that has no entry that
> begins with
> that key.
> A: ??
it would be probably inconvenient to see the action triggered, while
looking for an element. so it should be exactly how it is done by qt.

> My suggestion is to use the F1/F12 keys instead. Suggest to the user to
> the
> special keys on modern usb keyboards as well. The play/pause/browser/etc
> etc
> ones are X11 mapped so easy to use in the keyboard-shortcut mapping app.

Yeah, very cool. We would need an FAQ entry:
Q: How can I display the colour selector?
A: You have to install a keyboard-shortcut mapping app and then assign the
Play-button or any other multimedia button to the colour selector. Then
you will be able to show the selector by pressing play.

thanks, adam