List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Single letter shortcut problem
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-08-16 6:57:57

On Sunday 15 August 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> What happens if you are in a KLineEdit
> A: ??
>
> What happens if you are in a QCombobox popup that has no entry that begins
> with that key.
> A: ??
As mentioned by Adam, my code suggestion to fix the issue comes exactly from
those widgets.

> My suggestion is to use the F1/F12 keys instead. Suggest to the user to the
> special keys on modern usb keyboards as well. The play/pause/browser/etc
> etc ones are X11 mapped so easy to use in the keyboard-shortcut mapping
> app.
I don't think single-key shortcut (well except for F1/F12) should be used in a
text editing application. But you forget one thing, karbon and krita are
mostly not about editing text, it is something that happen by accident, once
in a while (a bit more in Karbon than in Krita, but still not much more). In
other word, those shortcut would be available between 95% (in karbon) and
99.9% (in krita) of the time.

Anyway since there is nothing that would prevent the user to assign single key
shortcuts themself, I think it is important for us to fix that issue. So lets
focus on finding the best solution.

--
Cyrille Berger