List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: design discusion: using QtXmlStreamReader instead of KoXmlReader
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-08-10 13:16:54

On Tuesday 10. August 2010 13.21.35 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> In Qt 4.3, QtXmlStreamReader was introduced. It is an XML Pull Parser
> (XPP),  which is a type of parser that makes it easier to do piecemeal
> parsing of an incoming stream.
>
> It is faster than QtXmlReader and might let us use less KoXmlElements
> which  would save memory while parsing.
>
> I'm looking into doing this conversion, probably by first removing all use
> of  QtXmlReader and then looking replacing calls like these
>   loadOdf(const KoXmlElement &element)
> with
>   loadOdf(QtXmlStreamReader& reader)
> where the reader is positioned at the start of an element.
>
> This is a huge task and I'd like to not endeavor on it without helpful
> hints,  so if you have warnings, good advice,  or comforting words, I'd
> like to hear them now.

To register some of the points I made on IRC:

QXmlStreamReader is stream based; as opposed to DOM based.  That stream based
approach will not make code more maintainable. It works for small projects,
not for big ones.
I tried it; its better than SAX, but its not nearly as good as DOM.
next to that; replacing a major part like this is more a KOffice3 thing.
getting koffice end-user-ready is a higher prio; this would do the opposite.

--
Thomas Zander