List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: design discusion: using QtXmlStreamReader instead of KoXmlReader
From:       Jos van den Oever <jos.van.den.oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-08-10 12:40:47

On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 17:22:04 pm Björn Breitmeyer wrote:
>  From my experience with QXmlStreamReader you have one fundamental
> difference in comparison to KoXmlReader. QXmlStreamReader is really
> a stream, this means you cant go back. This leads to the problem
> that any function can disrupt the whole loading process if it reads
> too much or not enough data.

This is exactly the reason I'm not sure the transition is feasible.  What is
feasible, however, is to replace QXmlReader with QXmlStreamReader. That should
already give a nice speedup if the Qt API docs are to be believed. I wonder
why QDomDocument is not using it though ...

If we encounter a place where the loader has to fall back to XML elements that
were present in a previous part of the stream, then it should now use the
parsed members that were created from the corresponding XML. If this is
feasible, we will see. We can always keep using KoXmlElement if there is no
other option.

Cheers,
Jos

--