List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Substitute for the MSOOXML concept of Comments
From:       Jos van den Oever <jos.van.den.oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-07-15 20:20:11

On Thursday, July 15, 2010 09:56:53 pm Carlos Licea wrote:

> > > Thank you Jos. This is exactly what we needed.
> >
> > Here is the issue:
> > http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3022

> > > I'm very pleased you are in favor of this proposal. However, I do find
> > > it odd, after all what we are going to do is no longer valid ODF, it
> > > seems to me that you were more concerned with interoperability with
> > > OOo rather than ODF in general.
> >
> > I think Thorsten thought being similar to MSOOXML was not a good idea
> > when ODF has a near-working solution. The only change in the spec that
> > is needed is to allow office:annotation in a draw:page.
>
> I would disagree. That would imply that Thorsten knew that such half-baked
> solution existed, but if he did know, he never mentioned it. In any case
> the topic is settled now.

He knew about offcice:annotation, but not that OpenOffice uses it for slide
comments. I quote from his mail:
"I did some more reading and what I have found in odf that comes close to what
you want to do is the tag <office:annotation>. However the tag is only possible
in a text:p or a text:list element."

> > Another solution would be to annotate specific part of the slide with RDF
> > triples. RDF in ODF allows you to add any arbitrary data to any element
> > that can is identified by an attribute of type ID.
> >
> > "Every XML element that is defined by this specification and has an
> > attribute of type ID may be described ...".
> >
> > <draw:page> has attribute xml:id and hence any data, including comments,
> > can be attached to it.
>
> I already started reworking towards the officeooo:annotation, I would
> prefer not to start over again. It's a cool idea, though. Albeit, I'm not
> totally sure it would be the same thing, those annotations would require
> some other container to be attached to, while officeooo:annotation is its
> own container.
I agree that officeooo:annotation is the way to go. Just mentioned RDF as a
possibility.

Cheers,
Jos

--