List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: libkdchart api stability?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-23 7:55:56

On Tuesday 23. March 2010 05.39.01 Carlos Licea wrote:
> I would vote for keeping the copy in KOffice for the time being. Otherwise
> we  could jeopardize responsiveness in bug fixing.

I'm sorry to say, but for that reason I think the exact opposite should
happen.
From experience it shows that if its easy to get your fix in your local tree
then the incentive to do the right thing and push it upstream becomes an
afterthought that in my experience is dropped too often.

If Nokia needs a fix that didn't make it into a release yet then there are
several options available for it to include the patch in the actual build it
ships. All of them suboptimal, but thats the point; it should go upstream.

Please, if possible setup the open source environment in such a way that the
right thing to do is the easiest solution. That way you avoid a lot of
management and end up with a more sustainable long term ecology.
--
Thomas Zander