List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: libkdchart api stability?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-03-23 11:33:31

On Monday 22 March 2010 16:15:02 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2010, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > OK, in the meantime, I discussed this with Sebastian Sauer, and he
> > > suggested  "maybe it should be moved out of koffice (or at least moved
> > > to the libs) to make it reusuable now that we have consumers outside of
> > > koffice".
> > >

> > > Would something like this be agreeable?
> >
> > I don't think anyone would object, but the person to decide about that is
> > Inge Wallin, the KChart maintainer.
>
> The problem of moving to koffice/libs is that kdchart is GPL, and
>  koffice/libs is require LGPL libraries.
> And I don't think we should change that policy or make an exception. But I
> have no objection for kdchart(/kdgantt) being moved out of koffice. I also
>  have no objection to handle the release at the same time of koffice.

First if all, I have no objection to moving kdchart to the koffice libraries.
For KChart it's just a dependency, and it doesn't matter to me if this
dependency is in a subdirectory of kchart or in the koffice libraries.

On the other hand, what cyrille writes above is also correct.  The KOffice
libraries are LGPL'ed and kdchart is GPL. So this is not really possible
either.

There is a very similar library called kdgantt (also from KDAB) which sits in
the top directory of KOffice.  So one solution would be to move kdchart to the
top directory of koffice. However, this solution is not long term viable.  We
cannot pollute the top directory of koffice with lots of external libraries.

What I instead propose is that we create a new subdirectory at the top called,
say, 'externals'. Then we move both kdgantt and kdchart in there, and maybe
also other libraries that I'm not aware of right now.