List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Use of Karbon canvas in KoPACanvas
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-26 22:34:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Carlos Licea <carlos_licea@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Dear list,
>        Kivio and KPresenter have a very annoying problem with their canvas
> implementation: they display the page and a border around it, in which you
> can
> move shapes around it. This is extremely distracting and annoying.
>
>        Karbon in the other hand has "Infinite canvas", this is very
> desirable in my
> opinion and feels much more natural.
>
>        So, can we somehow change the KoPACanvas implementation to resemble
> Karbon's? can we have a hierarchy class somehow to prevent code
> duplication?
> are there any assumptions that prevent this from happening? should we just
> provide another implementation of the same feature for the PA ignoring
> Karbon's altogether? and finally, is it as desirable for you as it is for
> me?
>
>        I understand that it is of not much use having an infinite canvas on
> printing-oriented application, such as Kivio, because anything outside the
> page will not be printed. However, the current state is confusing and
> distracting (having a rectangle resemble the page inside another white
> rectangle feels weird to me). Falling back to clipping the shapes to the
> page's size is even more annoying.
>
> Carlos

You could do it like Krita does: In Krita we have a infinite canvas, but
only draw the stuff insid the image.

The first step would be the set the canvas mode to infinite in the canvas
controller of the kopageapp view.
Then you have a canvas where you can move shapes anywhere. After that you
need fix the page so that it's drawn at the right place and only the area
inside the page is drawn white and the outside with the background. Bonus
would be with a page shadow.

The tricky part is to get the page draw correctly (at least it was in Krita)