List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Use of Karbon canvas in KoPACanvas
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2009-10-27 4:42:54

On Mon October 26 2009, Carlos Licea wrote:
> Dear list,
> 	Kivio and KPresenter have a very annoying problem with their canvas
> implementation: they display the page and a border around it, in which you
>  can move shapes around it. This is extremely distracting and annoying.

For me the bigger canvas has the plus that you can put stuff out of the way
when you are working on other things.

> 	Karbon in the other hand has "Infinite canvas", this is very desirable in
>  my opinion and feels much more natural.

I have to agree that a growing canvas is more natural.

> 	So, can we somehow change the KoPACanvas implementation to resemble
> Karbon's? can we have a hierarchy class somehow to prevent code
>  duplication? are there any assumptions that prevent this from happening?
>  should we just provide another implementation of the same feature for the
>  PA ignoring Karbon's altogether? and finally, is it as desirable for you
>  as it is for me?

I think it is not possible to use Karbons canvas inside kopageapp due to
different needs. However it might be possible to have more code to handle
infinite canvas inside the canvas controller so that every app which wants to
use an infinite canvas finds it easy to do so.

> 	I understand that it is of not much use having an infinite canvas on a
> printing-oriented application, such as Kivio, because anything outside the
> page will not be printed. However, the current state is confusing and
> distracting (having a rectangle resemble the page inside another white
> rectangle feels weird to me).

That is the same in karbon.

I think a canvas that does the same as the the karbon canvas, growing when
there is stuff put outside would be the best also for kopageapp. I worked on
that too. However due to the feature freeze I was not able to complete it and
have gone with the solution we have at the moment.
It should also be possible to paint the background outside the page rect with
a different color to make it more obvious that it is outside of the page. I
did not do this for the current version as it would be quite stange for the
user to be able to move it outside the page but at one point moving it more
would not be possible due to being of the canvas.

Note that it is quite possible in ODF to have shapes outside of the page rect.
For that case it should also be possible to see them and be able to use them.

> Falling back to clipping the shapes to the
> page's size is even more annoying.

I think an option to resize the shapes to fit into a given page size as
Jaroslaw has proposed would be very nice especially for kivio.

Thorsten