List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Use of Karbon canvas in KoPACanvas
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-26 21:55:15

2009/10/26 Carlos Licea <carlos_licea@hotmail.com>:
> Dear list,
>        Kivio and KPresenter have a very annoying problem with their canvas
> implementation: they display the page and a border around it, in which you can
> move shapes around it. This is extremely distracting and annoying.
>
>        Karbon in the other hand has "Infinite canvas", this is very desirable in my
> opinion and feels much more natural.
>
>        So, can we somehow change the KoPACanvas implementation to resemble
> Karbon's? can we have a hierarchy class somehow to prevent code duplication?
> are there any assumptions that prevent this from happening? should we just
> provide another implementation of the same feature for the PA ignoring
> Karbon's altogether? and finally, is it as desirable for you as it is for me?
>
>        I understand that it is of not much use having an infinite canvas on a
> printing-oriented application, such as Kivio, because anything outside the
> page will not be printed.

IMO: While in KPresenter it's generally good to know the screen
boudnaries, in case of Kivio-like apps one use case is that the user
does not want to be distracted by the boundaried and instead draw the
diagram freely in the infinite area, then define the page boundaries
as the very last step, if ever (perhaps the app can define it
automatically on priniting/exporting). I am thinking about one that
draws a diagram, e.g. block diagram, and never knows how big it will
be - infinite area helps in this case.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)