List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Improve the toolbox layout
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2009-07-19 5:06:07

Hello,

> First,
>
> These suggestions you replied to are not specific to KPresenter, they are
> meant to extend the concepts of flake and meant to extend in a cross-
> application and consistent way the experience of how to manage tools and
> dockers.
> KPresenter is just used as an example, please don't take any of this
> personally, its not :)

Then please split this discussion into 2 threads.

1. How to fix the toolbox.
2. How to improve the tools/dockers.

Please have a look at the attached screenshots:
The karbon_toolbox.png shows how the toolbox behaves if there are only 10
tools in the same section.
The kpresenter_toolbox.png shows how the toolbox misbehaves when there are
more then 10 tools in the same section.

And that is clearly a bug. And I want the toolbox to be fixed to no longer
behave like that. That has nothing to do with the fact how many tools are in a
section. The toolbox layout should not break if there are more then 10 tools
in a section.

I'm interested in getting the toolbox fixed. That is what I'm talking about.

> On Saturday 18. July 2009 07.00.04 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > > my memory of the discussion some months ago was that we could fix the
> > > toolbox very easily (2 lines fix) but the ideal is not to fix that but
> > > figure out why the different apps come up with different solutions for
> > > similar problems and ending up, well, working against each other.
> >
> > If it is so easily fixed why are you so resistant in fixing it.
>
> The toolbox as it is now has been written in 2005 for Karbon and (later)
> Krita with a design in mind of sections. In 2008 or so I rewrote it for Qt4
> kept that design and extended it.
> Any 'fix' in the toolbox would either allow a section to be huge or even
> infinitely long. Thats not really a fix as KPresenter will *still* have a
> bad looking toolbox afterwards.
> So, I don't think its fair to say I'm resistant to fixing it, I am not. I
> just want the fix to be in line with what Krita has been doing for years
> (with more tools, so KPresenter should be able to do so too) and what fits
> in the design of the toolbox.

Then I think we can apply the patch as both Boudewijn as also Jan said the
behaviour of the toolbox is fine in krita and karbon.

> > Only that
> > there is an agreement that a lot of tools should be avoided does not mean
> > the tool box should break when there are more tools. It is very easy for
> > a plugin developer to add new tools. That should not break the existing
> > applications. So lets fix the toolbox.
> >
> > > So,
> > > yes, the current situation is not very useful and needs resolving.
> > > Changing the layout of the toolbox is going in the wrong direction,
> > > though. We would end up with even less coherence in design and less
> > > consistency between apps.

Sorry but I can't see how adding a tool to the toolbox does that. That is what
the toolbox is there for.

> > Sorry but that sounds like you are against fixing the toolbox.
> I'm slightly annoyed you keep insisting we should just remove features from
> the toolbox that I added and you mark it as a 'fix'.
> Can we please stay constructive?

I don't want any features removed I want a bug fixed that shows in kpresenter
and kivio.

@Thomas: Are you going to work on a fix for the toolbox that fixes it broken
layout behaviour. If not I think we should apply the patch from Peter.

Have a nice weekend

Thorsten

["karbon_toolbox.png" (image/png)]
["kpresenter_toolbox.png" (image/png)]