List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New maintainer for KChart
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-04 12:09:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 3. September 2008 15:00:14 Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> > 1. I don't think we can press the "most comprehensive" point for 2.0.
> > First, many of the applications in KOffice 1.6 won't be released with 2.0
> > but instead 2.1. Second, I actually counted the components in MS Office
> > and they have more.  If we include the apps of kdepim (kontact), then we
> > are at the top again.  We could make a case that we should because
> > outlook is part of MSO, but right now the statement above is just not
> > true.
>
> Okay. I figure this is something for the long-term commuication then.
> But we should mention the apps to come in later releases to make clear
> where this is heading to.

The long term vision is definitely needed in our strategy.  But I also fully
agree we should probably not use unfinished ideas in release-notes but the
vision has to be established.
We should make it abundantly clear why KOffice is interresting for people and
companies.
If not now, then at some time in the future.

> > 3. "Easy to Understand".  This has yet to be proven. :-)

I have been in KOffice for > 10 years now, the main feedback I have had over
the many years is that KWord at least was very well designed from a user
interface perspective.  People love how it works and love how they can just
get things done.
This goes a lot deeper than just the interaction method (dockers vs dialogs)
but also goes towards things like frames and how text-lists are done in
KOffice.
In other words, I think it *has* been proven. Just because we do various GUI
things different doesn't mean we suddenly suck :)

> >  I think that in general, KOffice *is* easy to understand.  There is a
> > risk, though, that some quirks of 2.0 will hide this. Is there a risk for
> > a backlash?
>
> There is a risk. That's why we have to be careful about the strategy
> of what presenting to whom. We should be honest about what is not
> working yet and what will probably not be fixed during the next
> months.

Agreed.
Our 2.1 release might be more than various months in the future. Depends
heavily how successful the KOffice community is in getting new blood.
We need to work on that :)

> Jos suggested to include those defacts even into that google
> document to make sure we're all aware of the traps. What we should
> point out is that with such a huge change in concept and technology
> here, many people might not feel comfortable at first, but that we
> believe that those changes do improve their workflow (buzzzzzz).

+1

> > 5. Your document doesn't mention the duality of KOffice and KAtelier --
> > the artistic suite made up of (currently) Krita and Karbon. I honestly
> > don't know how to treat this, as I don't know what makes artists tick.
>
> That gave me a bit of a headache too. I currently have no real clue
> who is exactly targeted. I understood - and think that's right - that
> it's for those who are looking for a graphics application and who are
> not considering a part of an office suite fulfilling their needs.
> Artists is a bit fuzzy to me. Any specification will be helpful.

The concept of separation is one completely based on marketing.
If you take the separate components that make up KOffice you can see it a bit
more clearly.
We have a big chunk of overlap and then we have several parts that are
specific to these end-products.
http://people.fruitsalad.org/zander/KOffice/koffice-marketing.png

--
Thomas Zander