List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New maintainer for KChart
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-09-02 21:02:50

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 15:21:22 Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 September 2008 12:26:02 Cyrille Berger wrote:

> > Yes and no.  For the betas, I think it's good enough, but for the RC's
> > and especially the real release we need to do more. I think there is a
> > large but dormant interest in a free office suite that is advanced yet
> > simple to use, completely cross-platform and also free. I think KOffice
> > is that office suite.
> >
> > We should have a strategy in place for how to present 2.0 so that people
> > are aware that it's not the final offering but a start of a new series
> > just like KDE 4.0 was. The release of KDE 4.0 was not "botched" like some
> > people who aren't interested in KDE are saying, but there really was one
> > thing that could have been clearer: that 4.0 was not supposed to be run
> > by end users.
>
> As I wrote earlier I was working on a concept for that. I put up a
> google doc which can be found here:
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnp6zq6_87f5kg58hk
>
> Please consider it as a draft and comment on it. It's mostly common
> sense but I hope it's a useful point to start from. If anybody wants
> to collaborate on it, let me know and I'll send you an invite.

Ok, here are some comments, some more general than others:

1. I don't think we can press the "most comprehensive" point for 2.0. First,
many of the applications in KOffice 1.6 won't be released with 2.0 but
instead 2.1. Second, I actually counted the components in MS Office and they
have more.  If we include the apps of kdepim (kontact), then we are at the
top again.  We could make a case that we should because outlook is part of
MSO, but right now the statement above is just not true.

2. Clean source code is indeed a strong selling point, but not to the end
users. It is indeed easy to tailor to specific use-cases and this is where
KOffice will shine very much eventually.  This should be a strong point in
our long-term message.

3. "Easy to Understand".  This has yet to be proven. :-)
 I think that in general, KOffice *is* easy to understand.  There is a risk,
though, that some quirks of 2.0 will hide this. Is there a risk for a
backlash?

4. I think you missed one of our very strongest points: Cross platform
compatibility.

5. Your document doesn't mention the duality of KOffice and KAtelier -- the
artistic suite made up of (currently) Krita and Karbon. I honestly don't know
how to treat this, as I don't know what makes artists tick.

6. The website.
Our message needs to be enhanced by a good web site. I read on the devel list
that somebody wanted to fix it, but I haven't seen so much outcome of that
(yet?).

7. Roadmap
In short, we should have one. :-)

7. KDE
We need to sync our messages and press releases with the ones from KDE. We
should be able to ride the wave of cross-platform applications from KDE in
general.

Alexandra, would you be able to come to a koffice meeting in Berlin at the end
of November to discuss and finalize the plans?

	-Inge