List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New maintainer for KChart
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-02 13:23:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 2. September 2008 15:07:04 Inge Wallin wrote:
> The same is true in a way for KOffice 2.0.0.  There may be a number of
> applications that are useful, but it's not before 2.0.2 (say) that it's
> stable enough to trust your production data to,

Agreed, but I guess thats the case for all .0 releases ;)

> and it's not until 2.1 or
> even 2.2 that we should expect an unsuspecting user to try it out and not
> get disappointed by missing important features.

Yes, it comes down to this to a large extend.  For KWord I know various
features are missing, but at the same time a set of new features have been
added that are extremely exciting in my opinion. For example we actually have
WYSIWYG :D

> Tables is the most obvious
> example, but I'm sure there are more, not to mention usability misfeatures
> and other quirks.

Again agreed.

As I have said to Alexandra who is doing some KOffice promotion preparation
from the corner of the kde-promo team, KOffice is an office suite with a
vision and a great new way of doing things.  Also extremely extensible.
The balance between lacking features and promoting our great framework is
something that we need to find.

> I want to organize a Koffice dev meeting around november in Berlin, and to
> have two tracks there: a technical one and a smaller promo one. We should
> invite at least Jos and Sebas to that and create a plan for how to present
> KOffice 2 on its own, and in the light of the release of KDE 4.2 which is
> supposed to be aimed at end users for the first time.

That would be awesome!
--
Thomas Zander