List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Office Suite for my new BSD Operating System
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-13 18:32:26

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Yanike wrote:
>> I have plans of using this office suite
>> because it's already on the core OS we are building the new OS on, but
>> I want to change it up some, add new features and let my graphic
>> designers and template makers create loads of templates for it,
>> exclusively for my OS.
>
> That might be a problem. I'm not sure how the licensing of templates
> works, but it would surely be unethical and cause the community to not
> like/respect you if you do not release your templates as Free (Libre)
> Software, like the rest of KOffice is. And if you do, anyone will be
> free to use them on any system.

Ok, I know I didn't just finish reading anything by RMS when I wrote
that, but it sure seems I was in that mindset.

Yanike, if you meant "exclusive" as in "we're going to package them for
our OS and cross our fingers and hope they kind-of stay there", as
opposed to "we're going to apply draconian licensing restrictions to
make /sure/ they are used only on our OS", then I apologize for the
above. As people pointed out, you *could* do that, legally, though...
well I think I've expressed myself enough on my opinions if you did.
Hopefully that's not what you meant, and my apologies again if I've
scared you off.

At any rate, KOffice, and particularly this mailing list, does not
consist of any single company, so you're barking up the wrong tree
asking us (as if we were "*THE* KOffice company") about costs*. OTOH, as
Sebastian suggested (thanks, Sebastian!), www.kofficesource.com happens
to be a company that is devoted (mainly? entirely?) to KOffice, so they
can probably help you out. Though, as I've said, since KOffice is Free
Software, *anyone* can help you, or you are free to do the work yourselves.

(* Actually, individual developers may be able to answer that, to the
extent that one of them might be willing to help, but you won't get any
kind of "organized" answer, because we don't represent the sort of
organization to give one.)

--
Matthew
That said, if this is coming out of your posterior then you should