List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Office Suite for my new BSD Operating System
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-13 18:49:24

Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke said the following, On 2008-08-12 22:26:
>> Well... if you want your business letter to be useful as a document
>> template, you must give me fairly broad permission to do whatever I like
>> with "letter.dot" and derived works.
>
> No. Yanike mentioned he plans to make templates (using his or other hands) and
> provide them for selected audience. The same case applies for other types of
> documents (as I still claim we're talking about documents and nothing more;
> 'templates' term is technical distincion becouse of control flow that
> applications depend on).

Ok, let's assume Yanike wants to ensure that only a selected audience
can use certain templates. (Re-reading the original post, I'm not sure
that's the case, vs. something that I assumed due to apparently reading
too much RMS ;-). But that's for elsewhere in the thread, and already
posted.) How would this be accomplished? If the template licensing
allows me to choose arbitrary licensing terms for my own documents,
which are /derived works/, then I can publish a document as e.g. GFDL/CC
or even Public Domain. Someone else can then take the document, remove
the non-template bits, and republish the template under similar terms
(thus "releasing it to a larger audience"). Therefore, we must assume
that the licensing on the template imposes licensing restrictions on any
document made using that template. IOW, I cannot use the template
without giving up rights.

Is it legal? Well, probably*. Is it ethical? I don't think so. Do you?

(* I'll decline to state my own opinion, as I don't feel I have the
extensive knowledge of law that would be needed to offer one. However, I
believe that it would be considered permissible according to current
legal interpretations and would be upheld in court. I also suspect you
could find someone who will argue that it is /not/ legal, and I'm fairly
confident what hard-core Free Software advocates - i.e. the sort of
people that believe proprietary software should be made illegal - would
say about the ethical question.)

--
Matthew
That said, if this is coming out of your posterior then you should