List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Office Suite for my new BSD Operating System
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-13 12:32:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 12. August 2008 17:55:11 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > I have plans of using this office suite
> > because it's already on the core OS we are building the new OS on, but
> > I want to change it up some, add new features and let my graphic
> > designers and template makers create loads of templates for it,
> > exclusively for my OS.
>
> That might be a problem. I'm not sure how the licensing of templates
> works, but it would surely be unethical and cause the community to not
> like/respect you if you do not release your templates as Free (Libre)
> Software, like the rest of KOffice is. And if you do, anyone will be
> free to use them on any system.

While you may not like people creating closed content, open source software
explicitly allows this. We do not limit anyone how they use our software.

So even while I agree that it would be nice if any money going into good
templates that are availbaly for all, you are completely off base insinuating
that this is a problem or even unethical.

We should be wary of limiting usage of our software to only the things we
agree about. *That* would miss the core reasons of Free (Libre) licenses.

--
Thomas Zander