List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Office Suite for my new BSD Operating System
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2008-08-13 7:28:52

Matthew Woehlke said the following, On 2008-08-12 22:26:
> Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> Matthew Woehlke said the following, On 2008-08-12 19:48:
>>> Because a template isn't a document.
>> So what it is?
>
> I should say "used as". Because it is (intended to be) used to generate
> other documents, it should be licensed in a way that allows one to do
> this in a reasonable manner (which is to say, it should not impose
> restrictions on a document I make using that template). Without such
> restrictions I don't think it would be possible to make a template that
> is "exclusive" for a particular platform, except perhaps for the case
> that one could use it on any platform, but it wouldn't make sense to do
> so. I say that because, without such restrictions, someone could simply
> publish the template, at which point it is no longer "exclusive".
>
>> I'll give you last example:
>>
>> Just tried this:
>> % mv letter.doc letter.dot
>> and works great. Should I change license of my business letter?
>
> Well... if you want your business letter to be useful as a document
> template, you must give me fairly broad permission to do whatever I like
> with "letter.dot" and derived works.

No. Yanike mentioned he plans to make templates (using his or other hands) and
provide them for selected audience. The same case applies for other types of
documents (as I still claim we're talking about documents and nothing more;
'templates' term is technical distincion becouse of control flow that
applications depend on).

>> Is not doing this - unethical?
>
> I think that's the point I'm trying to make?

Parse error. Read: Is "not publishing it" unethical?

Again, the content is independent of licensing of the: 1. specs of the file
formats, 2. the software it is created or displayed on (as long content does
not contain parts derived from the software or other Free contents, what's not
the case in the above case).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek