List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: merge pagestyle changes back to trunk
From:       Pierre <pinaraf () pinaraf ! info>
Date:       2008-08-11 8:14:21

On Sunday 10 August 2008 22:18:46 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Hi *
>
> as you may did note, Pierre and me are working atm in the
> branches/work/soc-koffice-pagestyles to provide support for
> pagestyles/masterpages to KWord. That was done in a branch cause we need to
> touch a lot of code within KWord and had to break a lot of things to move
> forward.
>
> *Much* faster then believed the branch is at a good state again and there
> are only some smaller things left (compared to the work done already). The
> diff to trunk is atm around ~120KB big (only ~20 lines or so outside of
> KWord changed) what makes it for sure not easier to get that work back in
> trunk.
>
> We still have more then one month left till the hard freeze takes effect
> and taken into account that the work on pagestyles is listed on
> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KOffice/2.0/Feature_Plan#
>KWord the question is, can we get this in for 2.0 aka land it within next
> weeks?
More exactly, as soon as possible, I don't see any other blocking problem in
the branch (we had crashes when saving, but they are fixed now)

> pro's;
> * KWord 2.0 would ship with that changes and support for pagestyles :)
> * We don't need to maintain probably outdated probs in KWord during the
> 2.0.x lifetime
> * The diff to the 2.0-branch and trunk would be much smaller
> * Only KWord is affected (no danger for other parts within KOffice, yeah I
> see that as pro :)
* Merging this code as soon as possible will enable a much wider testing, and
we need it.
> con's;
> * probably new problems not in there yet will be added
> for, right?
> * I am sure there are a lot of changes done which are not really
> nice/perfect and need to be changed (cosmetic, not functionality). Changes
> done to the GUI can be reverted anyway since it was not the goal to change
> any workflow or whatever in KWord but to get support for loading/saving
> ODF-pagestyles done.
There aren't that many changes to the GUI. But sure we will need a GUI to
allow the user to choose the page style, insert page breaks that change the
page style and so on...

> things we would todo before;
> * make saving headers/footers work again (that looks atm like a bigger job
> cause KogenStyles+KoGenStyle was never designed to deal with multiple
> MasterStyle's. But probably we can work around this or just fix KoGenStyle.
Done... (My first commit from Akademy... Computer lab A213)
> * reactivate the UI to change the pagelayout
It was never desactivated.
There are some drawing problems since now you don't change the pagelayout of
one page but the pagelayout of a page style so it affects more than just one
page... But else it's perfectly working.