List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    merge pagestyle changes back to trunk
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-08-10 20:18:46

Hi *

as you may did note, Pierre and me are working atm in the
branches/work/soc-koffice-pagestyles to provide support for
pagestyles/masterpages to KWord. That was done in a branch cause we need to
touch a lot of code within KWord and had to break a lot of things to move
forward.

*Much* faster then believed the branch is at a good state again and there are
only some smaller things left (compared to the work done already). The diff
to trunk is atm around ~120KB big (only ~20 lines or so outside of KWord
changed) what makes it for sure not easier to get that work back in trunk.

We still have more then one month left till the hard freeze takes effect and
taken into account that the work on pagestyles is listed on
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KOffice/2.0/Feature_Plan#KWord
the question is, can we get this in for 2.0 aka land it within next weeks?

pro's;
* KWord 2.0 would ship with that changes and support for pagestyles :)
* We don't need to maintain probably outdated probs in KWord during the 2.0.x
lifetime
* The diff to the 2.0-branch and trunk would be much smaller
* Only KWord is affected (no danger for other parts within KOffice, yeah I see
that as pro :)

con's;
* probably new problems not in there yet will be added
right?
* I am sure there are a lot of changes done which are not really nice/perfect
and need to be changed (cosmetic, not functionality). Changes done to the GUI
can be reverted anyway since it was not the goal to change any workflow or
whatever in KWord but to get support for loading/saving ODF-pagestyles done.

things we would todo before;
* make saving headers/footers work again (that looks atm like a bigger job
cause KogenStyles+KoGenStyle was never designed to deal with multiple
MasterStyle's. But probably we can work around this or just fix KoGenStyle.
* reactivate the UI to change the pagelayout

The diff can be seen atm via;
svn diff -r838898:HEAD
https://yoursvnusername@svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/soc-koffice-pagestyles

comments, ideas, wishes, ... ?