List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: merge pagestyle changes back to trunk
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-11 12:13:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 10. August 2008 22:18:46 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> things we would todo before;
> * make saving headers/footers work again (that looks atm like a bigger job
> cause KogenStyles+KoGenStyle was never designed to deal with multiple
> MasterStyle's. But probably we can work around this or just fix KoGenStyle.
> * reactivate the UI to change the pagelayout

I took a long look (its a lot of code ;), here are my observations.

The ideas behind the changes look good. The pages having a page style which
takes over the complexity previously stored in KWPage looks good too, its in
line with ODF.

I like that there are nearly no changes to the koffice-wide code. Good
separation of concerns.

There have been several signatures that have been changed and I think we
should have the API docs fixed / extended for those.  Especially the addition
of arguments is something we should add before the integration, but also the
class doc of KWPage.

Remove FIXME (its fine) in kwdocument.h and please add some api docs to that
method. (copy paste is enough)

PageSettings has framesets pointers, who deletes them?

Unit tests :)  I noted that at least one didn't compile, I'd like it if we can
even make them pass.

Please test the usecases of adding and then removing and then again adding a
header.
This crashed in kword 1.4 and again in 1.6.  Lets break the cycle ;)

The changes in KWView don't all feel right, having a menu for all the headers
seems odd to me. I have not managed to compile the branch (due to the unit
tests) so I'm not sure what it looks like.
I can look again later but I would like to just have minimal changes to that
UI for now.

PageSpreads should still work. They work in trunk.  (start kword, in the start
window use the widget to create a custom document. Enabled "Facing pages")

As I said to Pineraf; great work, and thanks for this thread. Good step
forward for KWord! I welcome the integrate into trunk after the above issues
are solved.
--
Thomas Zander