List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: paragraph tool
From:       Florian Merz <FlorianMerz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-07-03 13:00:53

> Hi Florian and all

Hi Casper,

> I've bee working on the text tool dockers too. As you might have noticed
> I've committed code that allows more than one option docker per tool,

To be honest, I didn't notice :D

> Locally I've used that to put the current tabs of the text tool into
> separate dockers. Well not quite, as I now only have a character docker
> and a paragraph docker. The style lists are incorporated in these two
> dockers.

Sounds good.

> Your tool could fit it in nicely with this, however there is one thing I
> don't agree with.
>
> I'm not agreeing that paragraph formatting is not part of writing. Yes I
> too think latex is right in separating contents from layout, but that is
> not the same as not wanting to structure your document as you write it,
> so I think it's important to still have paragraph formating in the normal
> text tool.

I'm sorry if I wasn't completely clear on this. Yes, structuring the
document is a part of writing the document. So we need to provide a way for
the user to tell KWord that a paragraph is a headline in the text tool. But
I don't think the text tool is the right place to define what a headline
looks like or what this particular headline looks like. Just like you can
use \section{...} to tell LaTeX that a paragraph is a section, but the look
of a section is defined somewhere else.