List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: paragraph tool
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-03 12:50:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 3. July 2008 13:41:06 C. Boemann wrote:
> Hi Florian and all
>
> I've bee working on the text tool dockers too. As you might have noticed
> I've committed code that allows more than one option docker per tool,

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask why you think that's a good idea.
Specifically since we already discussed this and everyone on #koffice
disagreed that it would be useful.  So why did you commit anyway, did you
make a big change since?

> Locally I've used that to put the current tabs of the text tool into
> separate dockers. Well not quite, as I now only have a character docker and
> a paragraph docker. The style lists are incorporated in these two dockers.

Separate from that, some other devs have been working on fixing some issues
with the same docker, based on the same IRC discussions :)

> Your tool could fit it in nicely with this, however there is one thing I
> don't agree with.

Its a different tool, not a different tool-options tab on the default text
tool.  So I don't really see your point...

> I'm not agreeing that paragraph formatting is not part of writing. Yes I
> too think latex is right in separating contents from layout, but that is
> not the same as not wanting to structure your document as you write it, so
> I think it's important to still have paragraph formating in the normal text
> tool.

Yeah, we probably should not *remove* features from the (paragraph) dialogs.
But I agree with Florian that it is indeed a separate step. In my mind we
should avoid having a docker or any tool-options in the the default text
tool.  Luckely we don't have any right now, so the solution chosen by Florian
seems to be great.
The extra tool (the paragraph tool) seems to fill the function it is made for
perfectly.

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander