List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-03-13 17:10:54

(Please keep this on kde-licensing.)

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Thursday 13 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Google[1] turns up way to many results (note
>> particularly the ones from Red Hat's Truth Happens /and the SFLC[2]/)
>> implying OSP is not compatible with GPL, which means we should not
>> accept contributions from anyone that has looked at these documents.
>
> From [2], "The OSP cannot be relied upon by GPL developers for their
> implementations not because its provisions conflict with GPL, but because it
> does not provide the freedom that the GPL requires." and  " It is true that a
> broad audience of developers could implement the specifications, but they
> would be unable to be certain that implementations based on the latest
> versions of the specifications would be safe from attack."
>
> The interesting question is "do code written using the ___current___
> specification will be allways safe and protected ?".

That is indeed the interesting question, and as I read the SFLC's
interpretation, the answer is "no" (see the paragraph "The OSP Covers
Specifications, Not Code"). Further, by my own reading I must agree with
them.

The important claim here is that the OSP only applies to "an
implementation" (whatever that is), and only if it "conforms to a
Covered Specification" (both of these phrases should be throwing up
*huge* red flags). So, let's say I write a GPL "implementation". The GPL
allows anyone else to come along and copy any parts of that code to
their own GPL'd code. But because their code isn't "an implementation"
that "conforms to a Covered Specification", OSP does not apply to them,
which means I cannot fulfill the terms of the GPL (especially if we're
talking about GPLv3).

Honestly, I'd be paranoid using OSP in a *proprietary* application, with
the wording it has. Particularly when it's not clear what, if any, legal
value a "personal promise" has to being with.

At any rate, the fact that the SFLC states that the OSP is incompatible
with GPL, and recommends avoiding OSP, ought to be worth something.

--
Matthew
And the SFLC said to the Hacker, "Behold, I give to you all the codes of