List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-03-13 17:40:34

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> (And MSOOXML is rumored to be a patent minefield. I hope the people
> >> thinking about implementing it are keeping this in mind...)
> >
> > To avoid anything that may covered by a software-patent would result in
> > stopping to develop software in general.
>
> True. Unfortunately :-(.
>
> > Take it serious, fight against it
> > but don't accept it and don't give up.
>
> I /think/ that's a sentiment I agree with, but I'm not sure what "it"
> you are referring to.

it == whatever patents are on whatever. Well we just don't know and to just
guess and assume isn't enough for me. With that logic I would never have
contributed to KMLDonkey (p2p, I suggest to read the ~2003 discussions if KDE
should take the danger to include a potential "illegal" filesharing-app into
extragear - that was before apollon, ktorrent, etc.), would never participate
at demonstrations cause it may illegal to do so in near future, would never
drive a car cause it may crash, etc.

let's be pragmatic here and don't give up cause it may the case that... :)

> Please note that on this topic I wasn't (not at the moment, anyway)
> advocating "we shouldn't implement this"*, just asking that people
> wouldn't "eat the Microsoft Fruit" without considering the dangers.

I am looking at it from a plain technical view and as such that format just
sucks ages and that's really the biggest danger I see here. Beside that 1)
all work done now will be rendered invalid once Office2009 is out and 2) that
the sell-out of the ISO also affects the reputation of OpenDocument and
everything else they signed off - big grrrrr.