List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-03-13 17:00:15

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Cyrille Berger said the following, On 2008-03-13 13:56:
> >>
> >> Ouch! That sounds even worse than what I had heard before.
> >
> > And now might not be a good time to start working on this. ooxml is not
> > yet an ISO standard, it might as well never become one. They might as
> > well resubmit it under the normal ISO procedure in which case ooxml will
> > be very different than it is now. Besides there are very few ooxml
> > documents in cirulation compared to doc/xls/ppt ;)
>
> My 0.02€:
>
> After changes forced by deposition-for-comments, Ecma (not ISO) as an
> editor of the standard draft, would turn ooxml into something seriously
> different than the format people demand here and there -- namely --
> msooxml.
>
> For example, the final ooxml would mention the embedded objects can be
> KParts-compatible (or based any other technology, e.g. Flake), and thus no
> longer directly mention MS OLE. This is only an example, you have more such
> "fixes" delivered by removing concrete information on related standards.
> Do not expect MS to fix already released MSO2007 for ooxml compatibility...
>
> So there's even more time before someone can realize whether "ooxml
> support" means "support for on of the standards" or "following the white
> 'msooxl' rabbit in rather the same way as the community has followed the
> old binary office formats" :)

Guess everybody has to take the red pile here (or was it the green one?
anyway).

In fact ISO doesn't matter at all (for us). It's only relevant for the
Microsoft-marketing area to gain an official stamp on there format to be able
to sell it better. Office2007 is out, that file-format is the only one that
matters :-(

I don't believe that there will be any bigger changes to the specs since that
would mean, that Office2007 would produce non-ISO ooxml and therefore 1) the
selling-advantage would be gone and 2) I doubt that MS would adjust there
Office and switch the default fileformat before the next big Office(2009?)
rollout and 3) till then there would be no Software that uses those
new "standard" what would render all the ISO-fasttrack game even more
illogical.

The alternate is that it goes ISO (atm it looks so and may it only to limit
the damage done to the whole ISO-adventure) and then there would be no reason
any longer for Microsoft to increase the quality of those specs. Even more
worse, once they got the approval, they may just "upgrade" the existing
standard with each new Office-release.

In any case, ISO and everybody else are the losers of all of this :-(