List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability GSoC for KOffice
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-11 15:11:27

I just spoke with Ellen and she says we can offer KOffice a project spot in
the OpenUsability Season of Usability. Please send me the following project
information so we can form a good CfP for interns:

* Description of the project
* Acceptance of usability among project members
* Availability of developer resources for usability work
* Possible student project tasks

Either me or Ellen will mentor the project (if we get a student application
for it).  The student application phase will start soon in March and
selection will be in April.

Cheers!

~ Celeste

On Thursday 06 March 2008 08:54:15 Aron Stansvik wrote:
> (Adding Celeste back in Cc as I'm not sure she's subscribed)
>
> 2008/3/6, C. Boemann <cbr@boemann.dk>:
> > Although I think the idea of a usabillity project is great I fear that
> >  without real coding it's not for GSoC.
> >
> >  And having a programmer and usabillity expert in one person is generaly
> >  consider to be not a good thing.
> >
> >  so applying for season of usabillity is a far better way in my opinion.
> >
> >  alternatively have a GSoC coder if we have a usabillity expert willing
> > to work for free providing guidelines to the coder. Rather fragile setup
> > though, if the usabillity expert can't deliver, then the coder is
> > penalised.
>
> Good points :(
>
> But one way or the other it would be really nice to use the resources
> of SoU/GSoC to give KOffice some usability love.
>
> Unfortunately as Celeste pointed out, the application period for SoU
> has passed, so that leaves us with your second (fragile) alternative.
> But is really a combined usability/coder that bad? Better than nothing
> I say :)
>
> Aron

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project & HCI Working Group
usability.kde.org